Peek into Seoul’s (Korea) list of elite party deejays and you’ll catch DJ Schedule 1 – also a producer signed to Korea’s top party crew: Entrap Ent. – deservedly voted amongst the cream of the crop.
After witnessing Schedule 1 claim the 2nd Place in Pioneer’s East Asia DJ Battle 2010 (House Category), and also hearing his club-storming sets in Shanghai’s Club SKY, I knew an interview with him had be to arranged.
Please note that non of the text below were edited to preserve the exact nature in which the answers were provided.
How did you come up with the name DJ Schedule 1?
When I was charged with R.O.K.(Republic of Korea) NAVY (1998~2001, OMG 28 months!;D), I just thought about my nickname.
My Fam name is Shin. So I thought start with “S” words. Simply, I found that “Schedule 1” in English Dictionary, and I was very nice feeling that name.
Easy word, direct meaning. yeah, that’s coincidence, but real mean is not about schedule. “Schedule 1” is 1st grade list of drugs. Strong, Danger and Simple like my style.
1. What is the start-up story behind your pursuit as deejay?
In high school, I’m not good at class as the other typical students. loving basketball, computer game, but actually not music.
I didn’t like K-pop (now sometimes work with K-pop artists:D). Oneday, one of my friend listened some strong music with cdplayer.
I said “What’s that? let me here that.” and I was very impressed with the music. That called Hip-hop!
No melody, no sing, simple but strong beat with same pattern, rap. Wow, It was like a new world! One bored high school student is meeting other world that never ever been. So I learned with Hip-hop.
Going local CD shop and finding just CD called Hiphop. haha I didn’t know anything. but little by little, I knew 4 elements of Hiphop. you know that. So The DJ is little different with Rap.
I like mechanic things and let people here good music that I think good. So interested with Hip-hop -> finding one of way to Hip-hop! Zyeah! -> DJ. That’s it.
2. Describe your musical style, what is it like? What are three words that best define it?
My music is “LET THEM DANCE”. In detail, now I do Hiphop, electro, whatever people like.
3. What is your definition of success, and how much of it do you think you’ve achieved?
I just doing my job what I like. People loves that. Finding & talking about me. Yeah, that’s good for me. And I want to keep my thing long time.
4. What are some recent achievements you’re proud of and would like to share?
In 2009, I was at 1st Awarded in Pioneer Korea DJ Contest! was very glad in Christmas season. Last week, 2nd Place in Pioneer East Asia DJ Battle 2010 House Category!
Thank you everyone for supporting me!
This year March, I released single “I See The Future”. In local, clubbers request that song in the club. yeah, GOOD!
5. What’s something that’s always running inside your mind lately?
Club music industry is always changing fast. A few years ago, I just played Hip-hop. But now I play various genre of music like electro house. yeah, I love Electro.
So sometimes I think “Am I Hip-hop DJ? or just DJ?”. I found answer. What I like is what I do. That’s me. Changing style but keep the roots in mind.
6. What would you spend you a million dollars on?
Buying new gears and Invest the club!
7. What’s one incident that would serve as a turning point to your life?
As I said, when I started with DJ. Not easy but special life. You know? Going other country, doing gigs in there local club. It’s DJs unique life:D!
8. What three pieces of advice would you give to others when it comes to life and business?
No Bragging, Wide View, Do Fast
9. What have been some of your failures, and what have you learned from them?
Sometimes I make party in local club. Oneday, very few people came. So I was disappointed with that result. Yeah, most people knows about me, but all of those don’t coming. Loving different with business.
10. What’s a typical day in your life like?
Producing track, teaching students, training DJing, baseball, play with 3 dogs, shopping
11. What’s one of the highlighting moment in your career? Why is it so?
I was support DJ for singer “RAIN” on his world tour. That was huge thing on my career. I never ever looked so many people before in stadium.
12. What stops you from throwing in the towel and giving up during those frustrating days of being in this industry?
So much problem with this industry. hate, lies, brag.
Actually, the enemy is in my mind. We have to overcome the stressed.
13. Biggest risk ever taken?
Some years ago, in club Guandii, Shanghai, during I play, all electric system shut down for 30~40 minutes. I don’t remember that is my fault or engineers. But mood went down, My face color changed to white. haha
14. Who has influenced you most and been your greatest inspiration?
KRS-One, Rob Swift, DJ Clue, Zeebra, DJ Chuckie, Patrick Ewing(NBA)
15. How do you go about marketing your business or yourself? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
Using online route, promotion party with portal site, managing my blog (www.djschedule1.com), twitter(@djschedule1), Facebook.
And going some club or cloth stores, give my namecard CDs and flyers, telling my lately doing things.
And I don’t know the answer of this business. If someone knows that, he will earn big money haha.
16. In three words, characterize who you are.
DJ Schedule 1
17. How do you achieve balance in your life?
DJ life is not easy, because of we doing this job in midnight. So in typical day, I go to baseball play for my health. this is good for relaxing with thinking. Or you mean about money? I’m in residence DJ in 2 clubs in Korea. And charged with other parties, produce and remix the songs, performance with bands, etc.
18. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
I want to operate my own club.
19. What’s the first thing you would say to the world if all attention was on you?
Put your hands up!